Featured post

The Time J. Edgar Hoover Enlisted the Army to Assist in a Nationwide Manhunt

The bullet that pierced the heart of Patrolman Joe Zanella in a small Pennsylvania town was the opening moment of a crime story with few parallels.

It wasn’t the robberies, rapes, the daring escape or even the cop killing that catapulted Stanley Barton Hoss to the FBI’s most wanted man, but it was the broad daylight kidnapping of the lovely young mother and her child. In a nearly unprecedented step, J. Edgar Hoover enlisted the army to assist in a nationwide manhunt. An engaged public followed the drama by hour, day and week – and year to year … for when all thought the carnage was over, it wasn’t. And how Hoss struck again, in virtually impossible circumstances, and who fell, brought a governor to a funeral and provoked racial divide in a county.

Distinguished by Hoss’s  exceptional cruelty, heartbreak and landmark trials, this story about a resolute criminal is one of superlatives, thick with intrigue, blunder and surprise. It was a guess which legislature more often referenced Stanley Hoss as the perfect reason for capital punishment.

Beyond researching traditional sources and having been granted access to previously sealed state and federal archives, as well as Hoss’s most personal and revealing letters, the author has interviewed scores of individuals who lived the roles depicted on the pages of Born to Lose: Stanley B. Hoss & the Crime Spree That Gripped a Nation (True Crime History). Hoss’s victims of assault and rape, police and prison personnel, assorted cutthroats, the prosecution and defense, judges, the wife, mistress, all have talked for the first time on record.

Yet, it wasn’t precisely what Hoss did in Pennsylvania and Maryland, it was to whom and why and how that his reign of violence has sunk into the psyche of a region. This notable saga is a natural read for any true crime devotee, but will as well captivate an audience drawn to a dark tale that explores – and explains – how occasional human error and the very systems set in place to protect us can so easily be the cause for tragedy.

Two Shot, Two Arrested after Crime Spree

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Two men are in the hospital and two others are at Metro Jail after a crime spree and police chase Monday in Mobile.

“I ain’t no gangster, man. They just trying to make it look that way,” 26-year-old Clyde Coleman told reporters as he was led to jail Monday afternoon.

Police say Coleman is wanted for two shootings.

The first happened at a home on Gran Forest Drive in Irvington around 3:45 a.m. Then at 7:00, witnesses at a gas station on Theodore-Dawes Road say Coleman and another suspect beat a man and forced him into a car.
Police say they drove the man to a house on Rudder Road in Tillman’s Corner where they shot him.

Later in the day, police chased the two suspects from Tillman’s Corner down I-10 into Mobile where they exited at Virginia Street. Police say 20-year-old Robert Blackman bailed out of the moving car

Read more at: http://wkrg.com/2017/09/25/two-shot-two-arrested-after-crime-spree/

Trio Arrested In Crime Spree Spanning 5 South Bay Cities: Police

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA — Sunnyvale police Monday announced the arrests of a trio of young women suspected in a six-month crime spree involving burglaries and identity thefts in the cities of Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Palo Alto and Santa Clara. According to Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety Capt. Shawn Ahearn, the suspects, Melissa Larsen, 20, Madeline Amelia Lopez, 19, and Julia Marie Peruzzi, 18 — all Sunnyvale residents — targeted real estate open houses and retail stores, specifically looking for female employees who were working by themselves.

“One would distract the employee by plugging a toilet or creating some other diversion,” Ahearn said. “The other would steal cash and/or credit cards from the employee’s purse as she was being distracted. Another would drive the getaway car to Safeway or CVS and they would buy gift cards using the stolen credit cards.”

Eventually, Larsen, Lopez and Peruzzi were identified as the

Read more at: https://patch.com/california/cupertino/trio-arrested-crime-spree-spanning-5-south-bay-cities-police

2 suspects charged for weekend crime spree in Great Falls

GREAT FALLS –

Dylon Taylor Carpenter and Kierra Jean Haggerty, both 18, have been charged in connection with a crime spree in Great Falls.

Court documents state that two people reported that they had been assaulted on Saturday night along the 3000 block of Lower River Road. The two people told police that they were driving and stopped at a stop sign, and six people “appeared and surrounded the vehicle.”

The two people got out of the vehicle, and one of them was then punched in the face, and the other was assaulted by someone with a baseball bat. One of the victims said that one of the suspects pointed a black semi-automatic weapon at them. The victims were able to get back into their vehicle and drive away. They were able to provide police with the license plate

Read more at: http://www.ktvq.com/story/36449228/2-suspects-charged-for-weekend-crime-spree-in-great-falls

2 suspects charged for weekend crime spree in Great Falls – KTVQ …

GREAT FALLS –

Dylon Taylor Carpenter and Kierra Jean Haggerty, both 18, have been charged in connection with a crime spree in Great Falls.

Court documents state that two people reported that they had been assaulted on Saturday night along the 3000 block of Lower River Road. The two people told police that they were driving and stopped at a stop sign, and six people “appeared and surrounded the vehicle.”

The two people got out of the vehicle, and one of them was then punched in the face, and the other was assaulted by someone with a baseball bat. One of the victims said that one of the suspects pointed a black semi-automatic weapon at them. The victims were able to get back into their vehicle and drive away. They were able to provide police with the license plate

Read more at: http://www.ktvq.com/story/36449228/2-suspects-charged-for-weekend-crime-spree-in-great-falls

Five charged after "literal crime spree" of assaults, robberies

Several people are facing felony charges for their alleged role in a crime spree of assaults and robberies that stretched from Lower River Road to the Holiday Village Mall on Saturday.

Dylon Taylor Carpenter and Kierra Jean Haggerty, both 18, are charged with assault with a weapon and two counts of robbery. 

Three juveniles also arrested after the spree made their initial appearances Monday morning on related charges. Police reports for Carpenter and Haggerty say Gordan James Bacon Jr., David Payne Sleepingbear and Shane Wayne Stanley were also arrested on Saturday. The three made their initial appearances Monday morning in juvenile court, with each facing the same charges as Carpenter and Haggerty.

Prosecutors requested Carpenter and Haggerty be held on $25,000 bond for their alleged roles in “a literal crime

Read more at: http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/crime/2017/09/25/five-charged-after-literal-crime-spree-assaults-robberies/701018001/

Man pleads guilty to murder of teen boy in 2011 crime spree

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) –

A man has pleaded guilty to murder in a 2011 case involving a multi-day crime spree that ended in the death of a teenage boy.

Melichi Corbin pleaded guilty Monday, September 25 to the murder of Christopher Williams, 14. 

RELATED: Trial date set for men accused of 2011 deadly crime spree

Police say the incident started with a double homicide on Saturday, February 12, 2011. It happened at roughly 8:30 p.m. in the 4100 block of Mohican-Prescott Crossover.

The victims, Brandon Watson and Calvin Ervin, were standing outside an apartment complex when they were approached by two men. Police believe robbery was the motive for the shooting.

The following day at roughly 4 p.m., the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office began investigating an armed robbery and shooting in the 5700 block of Matthews St.

At the same time this

Read more at: http://www.wafb.com/story/36447786/man-pleads-guilty-to-murder-of-teen-boy-in-2011-crime-spree

Rockhampton man, 22, facing 111 charges for 4 month crime spree

A 22-YEAR-OLD Rockhampton man went on a four-month crime spree resulting in 111 charges including multiple burglary offences and one of dangerous driving.

Anthony George Denis Butler applied to the Rockhampton Magistrates Court yesterday for bail after the majority of his charges were dealt with during a committal hearing last week.

Butler’s charges include dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, possession of a dangerous drug, driving unlicensed, burglary, entering premises, unlawful use of motor vehicles, trespass, failing to stop a motor vehicle and possessing drug utensils.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Kathy Stafford said the charges arise from 17 offending occasions over four-months.

The court heard Butler had been released from a correctional centre in Townsville on May 31, 2016 on parole with no money and started committing offences so he could get back to Rockhampton.

He had been sentenced to a 15-month and a five-month prison terms, being served cumulatively, for similar offences.

Defence lawyer Zoe Craven

Read more at: https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/rockhampton-man-22-facing-111-charges-for-4-month-/3227783/